How To Fit Door Hinges: 6 Easy Steps
Door hinges are mechanical devices that allow doors to pivot or swing open and closed. They consist of two metal plates, known as hinge leaves, connected by a pin or a rod, which enables the door to rotate. Door hinges play a vital role in the functionality and stability of doors. When fitted correctly, they provide support, alignment, and smooth movement for the door.
Properly fitted door hinges contribute to the overall durability, security, and longevity of the door, making them an essential component of any functional doorway.
Whether you are installing new door hinges or replacing old ones, this step-by-step guide will walk you through the process of fitting door hinges correctly.
But first, let us make a list of all the proper tools, and materials that you will require to fit your door hinges.
Tools & Materials Required
You will need -
- Door hinges (3 per standard door)
- Screwdriver or drill with screwdriver bits
- Tape measure
- Carpenter's Square
- Door Hinge Template (Optional)
6 Easy Steps on How to Fit Door Hinges
Determining the Hinge Type and Size
Mark the Hinge Placement on the Door
Prepare the Hinge Mortises
- Position the hinge against the door or door frame at the marked locations. Trace the outline of the hinge on the surface using a pencil.
- With a sharp chisel, score around the traced outline. This will prevent any splintering when chiselling out the wood.
- Using the chisel, carefully remove the wood within the scored area to create the mortise. Take your time and work slowly to ensure accuracy. Check the depth of the mortise by placing the hinge in it. The hinge leaf should be flush with the surface.
- Repeat this process for all hinge mortises.
Note: If you have a door hinge template, you can use it to guide your chisel and create accurate mortises.
Install the Hinges
- Hold the hinge against the mortise on the door frame and align the screw holes.
- Insert the screws into the holes and tighten them using a screwdriver or drill. Be careful not to overtighten, as it may cause the wood to split.
- Repeat this process for all hinges on the door frame.
- With the door in place, align the hinges on the door with those on the frame. Ensure that the hinge pins are inserted into the hinge knuckles for smooth operation.
- Insert the screws into the hinge holes on the door and tighten them.
Mount the Door
Test the Door & Make Necessary Adjustments
Tips to Fit Hinges to a Door
Fitting hinges to a door requires careful attention to ensure proper alignment and functionality. Here are some additional tips to help you fit hinges to a door effectively:
Level the hinges
Use a quality chisel
Use a self-centering bit
Use the right hinges
Taking your time and being meticulous in the installation process will help ensure a proper fit and functioning door.
How to Measure Door Hinges
To measure door hinges, follow these steps.
- Close the door and locate the hinges on the side where the door swings open. Measure the height of the hinge by placing a measuring tape vertically along the edge of the hinge leaf, from top to bottom. This will give you the overall height measurement.
- Measure the width of the hinge by placing the measuring tape horizontally across the widest part of the hinge leaf. This will provide the overall width measurement. Note that some hinges have rounded corners, so if that's the case, measure from the outermost points of the rounded corners.
- If you're replacing existing hinges, you can match the measurements of the old hinges to ensure a proper fit.
For detailed instructions on measuring door hinges, check out our complete article on How to Measure Door Hinges.
Fitting door hinges requires precision and careful attention to detail. By following these step-by-step instructions, you can ensure that your door hinges are installed correctly, allowing for smooth operation and a secure fit. Remember to take your time during the process, and don't hesitate to make necessary adjustments for optimal results.
FAQs on How to Fit Door Hinges
What is the correct way to hang door hinges?
Do you install hinges on door or frame first?
Do door hinges go inside or outside?
Door hinges are installed on the inside of the door. This means that when the door is closed, the hinges are not visible from the outside. The hinge pins, which hold the door and hinge together, may be visible on the inside or outside depending on the hinge design.
MORE RELATED ARTICLES
- How To Fit A Bifold Door
- How To Fit An Architrave Around Doors
- How To Fit A Door Frame
- How To Fit A Door Handle
- How To Fit Internal French Doors
- How To Hang An Internal Door
- How To Install A Pocket Door
- How To Fit an Internal Door
- Sliding Door Installation
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: SHABANA KAUSER
Shabana Kauser is the dynamic owner of Emerald Doors, the famous door-selling company in the UK with immense knowledge and experience in working with architecture, interior design, and home decor. She continues to share tips and technical know-how of balancing interior elements, door fittings, room aesthetics, and the like. Personally, she loves coffee, always dabbling with several blends.